“Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion
andanguish. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human.”
Compassion at the center
Compassion was at the center of Jesus’ ministry and his mission for his disciples. At no time was his compassion more evident than during his final journey to the cross in the events of Holy Week. We know the events of these seven days changed the world, but it’s good to remember the compassion Jesus had for our pain and brokenness. In all he endured, we see a God who was fully immersed in the condition of being human.
On Palm Sunday, Jesus experienced the love and adoration of the people at the height of his popularity, but yet they did not understand the rejection, loneliness
And the culmination of Jesus’ compassion for each of us is seen when he chooses the punishment we deserve, even what appears to be separation from God, so that our sin would not separate us from God. And because of Jesus’ death and resurrection, we need not fear death because we know we will forever be in the presence of this amazing God.
Come, worship and pray during Holy Week
Be inspired and encouraged to develop the kind of compassion for self and others that motivated Jesus’ life and mission.
Palm Sunday, April 13 & 14
- Sat. at
5:30pm– Palm Sunday worship with children’s palm processional.
- Sun. at
8:30am, 9:45am, 11am– Palm Sunday worship with children’s palm processional.
- Visit the Bake Sale in the Great Hall to benefit Women’s Ministry
Maundy Thursday, April 18
- Noon – Worship with Holy Communion
5:30pm– Seder Meal; reservations required by April 15.
- 7pm – Worship with Holy Communion and reenactment of the final days of Jesus.
Good Friday, April 19
- Noon – Worship
- 4pm – Good Friday Passion Walk
- 7pm – Worship with Holy Communion and reenactment of the final days of Jesus. This evening worship experience will be streamed live on the Sheridan Lutheran Church Facebook Page on Friday.
- 9pm-9am – Prayer Vigil
Holy Saturday, April 20
5:30pm – Easter Memories worship with Holy Communion. A service of prayer and healing for those who have lost loved ones.
Easter Sunday, April 21
- 6:45am – Sunrise Worship at the Outdoor Prayer & Reflection Center (by the fire pit).
- 8am, 9:30am, 11am – Celebration Worship with Holy Communion, overflow seating will be available in the Family Life Center.
- 7:15-10:45am – Easter Breakfast in the Great Room (proceeds to benefit youth ministry).