ver 50 years ago a group of God’s faithful followers in Lincoln joined together to create a charter that was the start of Sheridan Lutheran Church. With support from other American Lutheran Church (ALC) congregations, we began as a mission church of the Central District of the ALC. Charter members recognized that God had richly blessed them, and strongly supported mission work and the ALC District. On May 3, 1953, membership was closed with 101 confirmed members (146 baptized). October 18, 1953, ground was broken at the corner of 37th and Sheridan Boulevard and on June 13, 1954, the first worship service in the nearly finished new building was held.
Sheridan continued to experience growth in God’s mission of spreading the good news of Jesus, ministry and membership over the next forty years necessitating major building projects, including the worship center and the great Hall. By December 1997, Sheridan had grown to 2,290 baptized individuals, with 1,692 confirmed members and an average weekend attendance of 500. Larry Arganbright was called as Senior Pastor on November 1, 1998. Greg Bouvier joined the pastoral staff as Executive Pastor on March 1, 1999.
In 2001 the property at 70th and Old Cheney was purchased and our site at 3700 Sheridan Boulevard was sold. Ground was broken for our current campus in August 2002. Our first worship service at the new location was December 24, 2003.
As our congregation grew and our ministry needs increased, God provided leaders to shepherd our growing community.
April 3, 2005, Kathy Paisley was called and commissioned by Sheridan to be an Associate in Ministry. In the summer of 2007, John Eggen began working at Sheridan and worked to complete his requirements for ordination. August 1, 2007, Rhonda Bostrom and Jeremy Freye were called as Associate Pastors. Then in August 2008, John Eggen was called to Sheridan as an Associate Pastor.
By mid 2008 Sheridan’s membership had grown to more than 4,000 members with an average weekly worship attendance of 1,600.
February of 2012, Greg Bouvier was installed as Senior Pastor and July 1, 2012, Eric Bostrom was called as an Associate Pastor.
August of 2014, Pastor Michelle Oetken was called as an Associate Pastor.